Alan Best Sustainability: a useful voice in developing sustainability strategies and green products
Alan Best qualified as an Analytical Chemist with ICI and held several posts in research and development, production management and HR before moving to the Pharmaceuticals Division where he held senior roles in HR and Medical Sales and Marketing. Alan moved into the food industry in 1993 and was a Director of Toms UK during its years of major expansion. In 2004 he established an independent consultancy and was involved in the development of an innovative green carpet tile for a major manufacturer. Other development projects include the launch of an innovative green graffiti protection system and the achievement of international eco labels and other third party certification for these products.
Alan has undertaken long term projects for flooring companies such as Shaw Industries Inc., the worlds largest carpet manufacturer, and has assisted them with BRE and other environmental and performance certification.
Alan represents Shaw Insustries Inc on bodies such as the Flooring Sustainbility Partnership as Chair and and the Chemsec Business Group, which includes companies such as Apple, Adidas, Skanska, B & Q, Boots Wallgreen, Dell, Sony Mobile, Ikea, Swedish Water and Danish Coop Group who are working with Chemsec to learn about and develop strategies for hazardous chemicals management and substitution.
Other projects have included working with chemical companies such as BASF on substitution initiatives and with university departments such as Lancaster University Environmental Technology Centre and the University of Central Lancashire on waste management and recycling projects and the identification of hazardous chemicals in waste.
As well as having a technical background Alan is a Chartered Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development and has run a number of successful technical training and management development courses. Alan has an MBA with Distinction from the Lancaster Business School at UCL and was winner of the prestigious Institute of Management MBA Prize. Alan has also served as an elected borough councillor and as a committee chairman and member of the Planning Committee.
Alan writes monthly articles on Sustainability for the Contract Flooring Journal and was a co- author of the Croner "Essential Guide to REACH."
Project partners include:
- Brian Murphy, Architect/ Specifier, Director, NGS, www.greenspec.co.uk
- Dr Peter Ruifrok, Chemist/Pharmacist, Director, Stadex Netherlands,www.toxlist.com
- Jonathan Lutwyche, CEO, REACH Centre, Lancaster Universitywww.thereachcentre.com
- Dr Andrew Norton, LCA Specialist, Director, Renuables, www.renuables.co.uk
- Chris Scott, Construction Law, Partner, Taylors Solicitors, www.taylors.co.uk
- Alex Fyffe, Director, The Clean Close Company, Social Enterprise, Carpet Recyclers, www.cleanclose.co.uk
- Robert Crow, Project Officer, University of Abertay Dundee, School of Contemporary Science http://localnet.abertay.ac.uk/
- Steve Weston B.Sc. M.Sc. C.Eng. MIMMM Plastics Recycling Consultant and Broker 07703 783 790
We are pleased to support Eco Showcase Events with speakers from our network on topics based on green construction and eco products please see: http://www.ecoshowcase.co.uk/
Contact us on 07739 581090 We'll be happy to tell you more about our work.
Alan Best Sustainability Limited
Registered in England and Wales Company Number 8361235
Registered Office, Cumbrae House, 2 Penwortham Court, Penwortham, PRESTON, Lancashire PR1 9YX